Peace world, it’s your selector Wil Infamous here taking a serious tone as I attempt to shine some light on a serious epidemic that plagues many households around the world, domestic violence.
You may be asking yourself, “what does this have to do with Hip-Hop and the straight bangers that I’m normally accustom to on these playlist?”…everything, at least for me. Good Hip-Hop music speaks to your soul and as an emcee if you have the self-awareness that your music does that and actually try to tackle a serious issue that many can’t put their feeling into words, but can relate to yours, that’s very powerful. I’ve recently been educated on domestic violence and the emotional impact that it can have on both men and women. A lot of the tracks that I have on this playlist are from a child perspective growing up seeing abuse in their home. A scary statistic I found out was that 1 in 15 children are exposed to intimate partner violence each year, and 90% of these children are eyewitnesses to this violence. If you or someone you know is in a toxic relationship, educate yourself and leave. Life is too short to waste away with anger…listen to good music and be mindful of your thoughts instead.
Thank you for taking the time to read this and if you want to check out some more statistics on this topic please see below. Peace.
- On average, nearly 20 people per minute are physically abused by an intimate partner in the United States. During one year, this equates to more than 10 million women and men.
- 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men have been victims of [some form of] physical violence by an intimate partner within their lifetime.
- 1 in 4 women and 1 in 7 men have been victims of severephysical violence by an intimate partner in their lifetime.
- 1 in 7 women and 1 in 18 men have been stalked by an intimate partner during their lifetime to the point in which they felt very fearful or believed that they or someone close to them would be harmed or killed.
- On a typical day, there are more than 20,000 phone calls placed to domestic violence hotlines nationwide.
- The presence of a gun in a domestic violence situation increases the risk of homicide by 500%.
- Intimate partner violence accounts for 15% of all violent crime.
- Women between the ages of 18-24 are most commonly abused by an intimate partner.
- 19% of domestic violence involves a weapon.
- Domestic victimization is correlated with a higher rate of depression and suicidal behavior.
- Only 34% of people who are injured by intimate partners receive medical care for their injuries
Women are much more likely to be victims of intimate partner violence with 85 percent of domestic abuse victims being women and 15 percent men. Too many women and men have been held captive by domestic violence — whether through physical abuse, financial abuse, emotional abuse or a combination of all three.
Domestic violence is not a singular incident, it’s an insidious problem deeply rooted in our culture — and these statistics and songs prove that.
Last Good Sleep - Company Flow [lyrics]
3 Wishes - J. Cole [lyrics]
Cold Hearted (ft. Miguel Jontel) - Blu & Exile [lyrics]
Dorian - Brother Ali [lyrics]
Bottle Dreams - Oliver Hart (Eyedea) [lyrics]
The Last to Say – Atmosphere [lyrics]